Listen to this article
Shutter artifacts are one of the most common challenges faced in rolling shutter cameras while capturing fast-moving objects. A global shutter camera is recommended to address this issue. In this article, learn everything about e-CAM217_CUMI0234_MOD – a FHD color global shutter camera module from e-con Systems perfect for robots, smart traffic systems, drones, etc. You will get a complete understanding of its features, benefits, differentiators, and key target applications.
Some key camera features like high image quality, high frame rate and long range support continue to be crucial features for many embedded vision applications. Their use cases range from smart surveillance, smart traffic and robotic vision to surround view, factory automation, and more.
However, when it comes to capturing images of high-speed moving objects at high quality and with sharp color details, there tend to be serious complications. It’s due to the appearance of rolling shutter artifacts in the image output.
In this blog post, you’ll discover how e-CAM217_CUMI0234_MOD – a FHD Global Shutter color camera module developed by e-con Systems – can empower you to overcome these challenges expertly.
But first, let us closely understand the features, benefits and targeted applications of the e-CAM217_CUMI0234_MOD camera module.
e-CAM217_CUMI0234_MOD – Full HD AR0234 Global Shutter Camera Module
e-CAM217_CUMI0234_MOD is a Full HD (FHD) Global Shutter MIPI color camera module – based on the 1/2.6″ AR0234 CMOS image sensor from onsemi™ with a 3-µm pixel size. However, before diving into the benefits of this cutting-edge solution, let’s first check out this camera module’s front and rear views.
Top benefits of e-CAM217_CUMI0234_MOD Color Camera Module
High frame rate
If the target objects are moving or rotating at high speed, capturing them with a general camera module will result in motion blur. A high frame rate camera with a low exposure time will be an ideal choice to eliminate motion blur. The e-CAM217_CUMI0234_MOD camera module can capture images at a high frame rate of up to 120 fps. In addition, it can stream uncompressed HD at 120 fps, FHD at 65 fps, and 2.3 MP at 60 fps.
Let’s look at the maximum frame rates – as supported in e-CAM217_CUMI0234_MOD.
Global shutter type
Rolling shutter artifact is another unfortunate phenomenon that occurs when the target object moves too fast for the camera to capture properly. In such a case, an embedded camera with a high frame rate may not suffice. Instead, a global shutter camera is recommended.
As discussed before, the e-CAM217_CUMI0234_MOD camera module is based on the 1/2.6″ AR0234 CMOS image sensor. This allows rolling shutter artifact-free images of moving objects and a reduction in frame-to-frame distortion.
This sample image shows the difference between the output without and with the global shutter feature.
The higher the resolution — the more details can be extracted from the target image. So, with the e-CAM217_CUMI0234_MOD camera module, your application can capture high-quality images at 120 fps.
Wide range of lens support
e-CAM217_CUMI0234_MOD is a pluggable camera module – provided with an S-mount lens holder. This standard S-mount lens holder (M12P0.5) can accommodate a wide range of lenses. Accordingly, you can choose a lens of your choice that best suits your application.
More Compatible Platform with variety of interface support
e-con Systems offers the MIPI, USB, GMSL/GMSL2 and FPD-Link III versions of the e-CAM217_CUMI0234_MOD camera module. Given below are all such variants of the camera supporting various platforms.
- See3CAM_24CUG – AR0234CS Full HD Color Global Shutter USB Camera
- e-CAM24_CUNX – Color Global shutter Camera for NVIDIA® Jetson Xavier™ NX / TX2 NX / Nano
- e-CAM20_CURB – AR0234 Global Shutter Color Camera for Raspberry Pi 4
- NileCAM25 – Full HD GMSL2 Global Shutter color camera with 15m cable support for NVIDIA® Jetson AGX Xavier™ and Connect Tech’s Rogue platform based on Jetson AGX Xavier™, Rudi AGX platform based on Jetson AGX Xavier™, and Rudi NX platform based on Jetson Xavier™ NX
- NeduCAM25 – Full HD Global Shutter FPD-Link III Camera Module for Texas Instruments SK-TDA4VM
- e-CAM20_CURZ – AR0234 Global Shutter Camera for Renesas® RZ/V2L
- e-CAM25_CUXVR – Six Synchronized Global Shutter Cameras for Jetson AGX Xavier™
- e-CAM21_CUiMX8 – AR0234 Global Shutter Camera for MX8 Processors
- e‑CAM25_CUNX – Multiple 4-lane Global Shutter camera solution for Jetson Xavier™ NX FLOYD carrier board
You can also click the below image to check out the full portfolio of e-con systems’ global shutter cameras.
For any help in integrating cameras into your products, please get in touch with e-con Systems at [email protected]. To check out the complete portfolio of cameras from e-con Systems, please visit the Camera Selector.
With more than 19 years of experience in delivering embedded vision solutions, e-con Systems’ experts can help you with customizing the camera module to fit your unique application needs. Given below are some of the types of customizations we can do:
- PCB form-factor customization for any connector, shape and orientation
- Lens holder customization for C/CS mount
- Driver development for any OS
- Interfacing with any application processor such as Freescale i.MX8, NVIDIA Jetson TX2/ AGX Xavier and so on.
For other customization requirements, you can reach out to: [email protected].
e-CAM217_CUMI0234_MOD camera module can be used in a wide variety of embedded vision applications – owing to its outstanding performance with respect to high frame rate, FHD and global shutter. These include:
- Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR)
- Automotive ADAS
- Robotic Vision
- Factory automation
- Gesture recognition
- Traffic monitoring
- Barcode scanning
Sponsored content by e-con Systems